Pages

Monday, September 26, 2016

Introducing: The Windsor Vest

Sure, it might seem a bit early for Christmas posts and planning for most people, but for any knitters planning Christmas knitting, it's a good time to at least start browsing for your knitting queue. Interweave Knits Holiday, available via the Interweave Store (here: print edition or here: digital edition ), has you covered whether you want to treat someone (including yourself) to a gorgeous shawl or socks, whip up a quick hat or set of mittens, or make something special for a child. I was particularly delighted with the set of designs based on Jan Brett's illustrations in her children's books (The Hat, in which Hedgie the hedgehog has a run-in with a sock that blew off the clothesline of winter woollies, has been a favourite with both my kids), and I'm tempted for the first time ever to knit up a Christmas stocking as a result.

Photo by Harper Point Photography for Interweave Knits. Used with Permission.

My contribution to the collection is the Windsor Vest. When I sat down to play with colours and motifs on the computer, I asked myself, what would Ernie, from Sesame Street, favourite Muppet of so many children, wear if he had a traditional Fair-Isle inspired vest and wanted to dress up a little? Certainly he'd still want to wear some of his favourite colours!

Photo by Harper Point Photography for Interweave Knits. Used with Permission.

I had some SweetGeorgia Tough Love Sock in my stash in the Ginger colourway, and I knew right away that I wanted that to be the colour for the trim. I enjoyed looking through all the delightful saturated colourways available, and set up a palette that I feel works well for a slightly more formal yet still exuberant Muppet, or indeed for a cheerful child who feels that if she or he must dress up, let it at least be colourful and bright.

Photo by Harper Point Photography for Interweave Knits. Used with Permission.

The Windsor Vest is worked in the round from the bottom up, with steeks worked for v-neck and armhole openings. Stitches are then picked up around the armholes and neckline for trim.

Finished Size 23¼ (24¾, 26¼, 27¾, 29¼)” chest circumference. Vest shown measures 23¼”

The pattern can also be purchased individually via the Interweave Knits Store here: Windsor Vest Pattern


Photo by Harper Point Photography for Interweave Knits. Used with Permission.


No comments:

Post a Comment