Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Slow Progress

I knew it was way too long since I had written a post, but when I finally looked today and realized it has been a month, I sure felt like a slacker.

Now sure I've been busy with really important family stuff that I'm not going to get into right now, but I would like to post a lot more often, and hope I can find the time to get back into the habit over the next while.

Of course, I've also been busy sewing and knitting and planning during that time, but neglected to take photos in the case of my brother's new shaving kit bag (I was in a hurry to get it done as he was moving away), and didn't think to blog the process of my husband's new handwarmers (short version: realized I would run out of yarn, switched colours partway through, pattern is: Dashing by Cheryl Niamath). Here's a photo anyhow!

 I've been designing, but not spending enough time on it to have anything to tell you about it. I knew I'd be busier than not with my youngest starting Kindergarten this year (there's an illusion of extra time, but it gets swallowed up quickly by all the must dos and it's really only three hours four days a week that is extra anyhow; it makes for easier errand-running and more efficient cleaning time though!), but still feel guilty for not getting a lot more done.

Also, I joined Pinterest (my boards here), which seems to take a bit of time, and, as always happens when really busy, suddenly want to knit all the things I see in Interweave Knits, Vogue Knitting, Twist Collective, Knitty, etc.

Ah well, time marches on regardless, and brings us Christmas right around the corner! I make a spreadsheet each year to keep organized, and update it with ideas, adding and subtracting if better ideas come up. I've a few things I'm sewing, a few things I'm cooking, something to crochet, and a few things I'm knitting.

One gift I'm mostly through knitting is this tuque and mitten set in Edmonton Eskimos football team colours. I'm thinking I should line them as well. To watch CFL football in person, toques and mittens are a necessity!





 







I'm working on sewing flannel pyjamas for the girls, and am trying out flat-felled seams (at least interior versions of them):




The yellow is a much softer shade when not photographed in my poorly lit sewing room. One of the light fixtures is kaput, and I should probably ask for repairs to the lighting as a Christmas gift.

 I am trying not to panic each time I remember how close Christmas is. Of course, there's plenty of time yet to get organized, but I like to have things done ahead so that I also get to slow down and enjoy all the little things we like to do together, like decorating sugar cookies and making crafts. This weekend we pull out the Advent box, which has music, books, toys, and various decorations the kids can arrange as they please. Later in the month we'll buy a live tree, so it will be awhile before we do that part of the decorating.

I've managed this week to take a deep breath and remember one of the best ways to get through things and ahead on things while already busy, and that's breaking things down by steps so I can get at least one little thing done per day...


Cut today, pin tomorrow, cut fabric the next, sew at least one step the day after that... Slow progress is still progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment