Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

I'm not Actually Irish, but...

I'm not actually Irish, but I am:

-Heading down to watch the Hurling and Football at 8:00 am at the Irish Club over breakfast today.

-Fond of reading James Joyce and Roddy Doyle.

-Becoming rather accustomed to Hiberno-English, which is something I have enjoyed since first picking up Joyce, but in recent years I now get to hear it in person, and experience it in e-mails.

-The Secretary for the local Gaelic Athletic Association club, The Edmonton Wolfe Tones.

-In possession of an Irish last name so that people occasionally think that I may in fact be Irish, until they actually hear my Canadian accent. Really, it's this combined with the last point that causes the confusion.

-A proud member of the local Ladies' Gaelic Football team. Also really wishing the snow would melt so we can go out and play, instead of falling all weekend so that we can shovel it (not anywhere near like as much fun).

-Actively trying to convince everyone I know that they should play Gaelic football too, and frequently explaining how it's done.

-Thoroughly addicted to playing Gaelic Football.

-Knitting the lovely  Tralee skirt from Carol Feller's Contemporary Irish Knits, which is a book that I really love. This skirt is absolutely gorgeous, and I hope my version will be as wonderful as I'm picturing it in my head. I wanted to finish the skirt for today, but it's really not anywhere near finished just yet. Maybe sometime in April...


 -Wanting to buy Irish yarn to make more of the things from Carol Feller's book. I'm sure I must know someone who would be willing to pick some up for me there! Donegal Tweed is pretty high on my wish-list at the moment.

-Wishing you a happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment