Pages

Monday, December 15, 2014

Interview with Lindsey Stephens

 Today I am bringing you an interview with Lindsey Stephens as a feature of the Independent Designer Gift-along 2014. Lindsey Stephens brings her love for teaching and mathematics into everything she does. She has her own design line, Poetry in Yarn, and has published patterns in Crochet World magazine, Koigu magazine, the book Curvy Girl Crochet, and other publications. Lindsey also uses her mad math and technical skills for good as a crochet tech editor and website designer. After five years as a stay-at-home mom, she now teaches math at a Yeshiva elementary and middle school in Connecticut. Learn more about Lindsey at PoetryInYarn.com or on Ravelry, where she goes by Leebah.




How and when did you first learn to knit and crochet?

I taught myself to crochet back in 2007 when I was moving from Texas to Connecticut. I knew I'd need something to do on the 3 day car trip. Knitting followed a few years later.

Are there any other crafts that you enjoy working on?

Right now I'm really enjoying embroidery. In the past I've done jewelry making, sewing, and scrapbooking.

What is your favourite yarn to work with at the moment? Do you have a favourite fibre and yarn weight? What would be your dream fibre to design something for if you have the chance?

Just one?! Right now I'm really loving the yarns from Mrs. Crosby Plays. I just finished one crochet design in their yarn, and I'm working up a knit design too.
In general, I'm a big fan of alpaca yarns - they're so soft. I tend to do one lace weight project a year- that's typically enough to get the lace bug out of my system and then I use heavier yarns. This year it was the Fairy Ring Road Shawl.

Fairy Ring Road Shawl © Vivian Aubrey Photography

I find I watch a lot of shows or listen to a lot of podcasts while stitching; how about you? Which do you enjoy and/or recommend?

I love crime dramas. Law & Order, Criminal Minds, NCIS, Bones, and Castle are all regulars on my "watch tv while I stitch" list.

Do you have any upcoming designs that you are able to share details with us at this time?
Spry Twist Mitts and Earwarmer, © Vivian Aubrey Photography

The Spry Twist Mitts and Earwarmer set are my latest crochet design. They're super cute and a quick project. I love the twisted stitch / cabled detailing on them.

Tunisian Crochet has been hitting the spotlight lately, and this is well-deserved. Your Roxanne scarf is a lovely example of the technique! Tell us a bit about Tunisian, what you like about it, and if you'll be designing some more patterns for it in future.

I think Tunisian is best summed up as the look of knitting with the speed of crochet. It's a fun technique to play around with. I love that I'm seeing more and more people doing work with Tunisian crochet. I'll definitely be back at it again soon.




Thanks so much Lindsey, and, to everyone out there, hope you are all enjoying the Gift-along!

No comments:

Post a Comment