Pages

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

A Bit of String

I can finally share my Mom's Christmas present with you!





Since Mom crochets, I decided to make her some yarn. I took 200g of Knit Picks Stroll Roving (Superwash Wool with Nylon, figuring Mom might like to be able to machine-wash what she makes with it), and then I have spun it up into singles ("S", or counter-clockwise), then did up a 4-ply yarn plied "Z" (Clockwise). All this using my trusty spindle.







It came out to about 700 yards of fingering weight (on the heavier end of fingering, but not quite a sport-weight, I don't think).













Having skeined it, I then dyed it, cooking it up  with about 1/2 tsp Wilton's Turquoise and about a cup of vinegar.



I quite like the soft shade of turquoise that resulted.



I did a quickish bit of sewing to make a project bag (using the pattern at this link), and voila!


This is my last post of 2014, and it's been a great year. I've been featured for the first time in a print publication, I've been working full time from home, and spending the rest of the time with friends and family, which has been more than just great. I am so very lucky to have their love, friendship, and support. I'm not the sort to make New Year's Resolutions (not that I don't think about it now and again), but I am wishing for even more of all those good bits of 2014 in 2015 for my family and for yours.

Thank-you so much,

Jessie

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year to you, too. I prefer to make To-do lists rather than resolutions--the difference is that to-do lists are more short-term, and can be crossed off the list. My resolutions tend to be vague "eat healthier", "lose weight", "keep up with housework", " don't get myself into tight knitting deadlines" etc.

    ReplyDelete