Tuesday, April 10, 2012

In Which I Run Out of Yarn and Adjust Accordingly

Introducing my rendition of the Dahlia Cardigan by Heather Zoppetti.
 


I almost had enough yarn to finish this cardigan. I couldn't get more, but I finished it anyway.

I had accidentally made one of the front parts too short, but was waiting until I finished the sleeves to fix it. I was sure I had enough yarn. Very sure. Very wrong, as it turned out.

Not only did I not have enough to fix the front (good job it looks fine anyhow), but I didn't have enough for the second sleeve either.

I wish I had taken a picture of one sleeve being knit out of the yarn from the other sleeve once I'd spliced the yarn together so that one came right from the other, but you'll just have to picture it yourself. It would have been rather funny (robbing one sleeve to knit the other) if I hadn't been right in the middle of it.

I ended up with enough to finish both cuff lace-details, but not enough to knit the seed stitch cuffs, so I ended up knitting a few rounds of plain stockinette, then binding off in reverse stockinette.

Despite all that, I'm rather pleased with my new sweater, and, as it's an alpaca/wool blend, it's soft, cozy, and warm as well as stylish.

I'm sure I'll find an excuse soon to wear it more or less everywhere.

1 comment:

  1. Clever you! Its beautiful and very stylish.

    ReplyDelete