Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Mostly Annuals



I just realized this morning that I haven't blogged lately. Between housework, and more happily, yardwork and enjoying time with family and friends, I've lost track of time. Also, I should add, go see Take a Bite at the Edmonton Fringe! It's excellent, well-written, and the actors are amazing.







I've been enjoying the garden this week, as the mosquitoes have backed off a bit (still nowhere near gone, but much better). My annuals are blooming, and I thought I'd share a few photos.









This is the first time my attempts to grow sunflowers has actually resulted in a blooming sunflower! Usually they are eaten by rabbits, are started too late or too early, or sited poorly. I can see this one from my kitchen window, and it makes me smile every time I look at it.




  My Mom started this strawflower from seed, and it's looking great right now. I particularly enjoy the range of pinks alongside the yellow centre. It's rather a tactile experience as well; I couldn't help but stroke the petals to hear the crisp rustle.
























 This pumpkin is trying to take over the side yard (and is succeeding). The rain-barrel (installation in progress) might have to run for it. I don't think we'll actually get any pumpkins out of this monster, unfortunately, but I'll keep an eye on it. Really, I should have pruned it at some point, but I've only ever grown pumpkins once, so I'm a bit of a novice here. I have a tendency to start veggies in the garden, and then forget to actually thin them, prune them, or harvest them in a timely manner. I think I'm mostly a flower gardener, but if I can learn how to veggie garden through dabbling, then so much the better.


 I am currently resolving to grow tall Snapdragons every year! Snapdragons are definitely one of my favourites. I used to grow the smaller ones, but the tall ones are just so stunning, and seem to look great anywhere.


Well, almost anywhere. It turned out to be a poor choice to surround the oak tree with snapdragons for two reasons:

1. There's not enough space in the bed for this to look tidy (there should definitely be another foot of mulch on the far side of the snapdragons so it doesn't merge visually with the lawn).

2. The snapdragons are currently taller than the oak, which is just too silly.



1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:33 am

    Your flowers are gorgeous!!!!

    Also, I love the picture of the snapdragons and the oak. It is indeed silly. But awesomely so. *g*

    :)
    Claire

    ReplyDelete