Pages

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Wool Carding with Sue Macniven


Someone just reminded me that I'm supposed to be carding wool, so I thought I'd share a few photos of my first attempts.



It turns out it's more complicated than I thought, (oh, so you don't just jam wool in there and drag the other one through) so I found this useful video and now know at least a little more.  I thought I'd share it since it's one of the best resources I've found so far.



These hand carders belonged to my great-grandmother, but, since we're pretty sure she didn't spin, we figure the original owner may have been her mother.
If I was to really get into this, I'd probably buy some newer carders so that I don't wreck these antiques, but they seem OK for the moment.  I haven't had much time for a third attempt at carding yet, but I'll try to get back to it sometime soon to practice more, and hopefully turn out some reasonably decent rolags. 








Luckily, (since I'm kinda wrecking the wool so it won't spin as nicely) a good part of the end product is going to my mom for felting and needle-felting, and I've heard it's been working well-enough for that so far.  She dyed some with kool-aid, to make felt beads with, and I'm excited to check out the results in a few weeks when I see her next.




No comments:

Post a Comment