Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Nearly Instant Gratification Slippers


I wanted to make some felted slippers for my husband, and wanted to crochet them, partly for speed, and partly since I already had a perfectly good crocheted slipper pattern (Fluffy Bunny Slippers by Shannon Murphree) that I could modify.  I've done these slippers the regular way as both bunnies and as a cat, but thought that my husband would prefer something plainer.

The other thing I really wanted was to have a quick project to cheer myself up, so I pulled out a 7mm hook (so they'd be larger than standard) started them one evening, was finished sewing them up by the next afternoon, and then did up the edging in an evening.  Last night, I sent them into the wash, and I think they've worked out quite well.


I forgot to add a ruler for scale to the after photo, but trust me, they're no longer clown-sized, and fit my husband quite well.  I'm just fixing one small thing, which is that the back of the heel doesn't cinch in enough, so I'm trying to felt that area a bit more by hand.  I think it's working, but want my husband to try them on again to assess them before I do too much more.

All in all, I'm pleased, and have plans to make some for myself, my older daughter, and a few for guests to wear if they'd like to when they visit.  For yarn, I used Ístex Álafoss Lopi for the base and Ístex Létt-Lopi held double for the uppers.  They're much softer after felting, and I love the look of the fuzzy halo.

No comments:

Post a Comment