Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2018

Playing/Working Catch Up (like the laundry, it never ends)

I'm catching up on work after a summer of very sporadic work hours, and was just about to start work on a post about sweaters when I spotted something. I have completely forgotten to share two pattern here, and what's more, forgot to share the completed Ásta Sóllilja sweater that I have worn several times since I last wrote about it while I was still in the middle of knitting it.

So, writing about sweaters can wait until next time. I've updated the patterns page (just under the page header, just to the right of "home", click on "patterns") to include the two following patterns:

Folk Tale Mitts

Soon to be available in kit form from Recreated Textiles , the Folk Tale Mitts are quick, fun, and cheerful. Just right to keep your hands warm while out for walks in the crisp autumn air, or surviving indoor winter at your summer office when someone cranks the AC up too high. Also a quick stocking stuffer for that matter, if it isn't too early to speak of such things...

If you can't wait for the kit, head here:



Chesterfield Slippers


Named for the plaid Chesterfield in the living room from when I was a kid, these cozy Chesterfield Slippers are worked in Sea Turtle Fibre Arts Lagoon DK in Plaid Flannel. Also a nice and quick knit, these slippers were designed to look great in any colourway, using a simple pattern to add interest without being hidden behind the busier handpainted colourways. Whether you opt for a semi-solid or go for a yarn with gusto, the Chesterfield Slippers will keep your feet (or those of anyone you knit them for) nice and toasty while settling down on the Chesterfield/Couch/Sofa with a compelling book.









Now for the just for fun knitting! The rest of my knitting time on Ásta Sóllilja by Kate Davies was almost entirely without incident, and quite enjoyable. It took a bit of fortitude to weave-in all the ends, but that's pretty much the cost of a gorgeous colourwork garment, so it was entirely worth it.


I only made the one modification, and minor one at that, which was to modify the waist shaping to not nip the waist in quite as much. This worked great, but did call for a few extra yards of yarn than the seventh size calls for. Luckily a friend had some to spare (Thanks Vanessa!), so I finished off the last three rounds with hers. I loved knitting this sweater; it's always nice to just knit something from a pattern for fun (and for the end product, of course) and enjoy the whole process. It's toasty warm, which trades off nicely for the fact that the yarn gets to me after awhile in any of the areas where it is next to skin. Sometimes the warmth is just more important than any other consideration, and this sweater got me through several baseball games this year when it was colder out than expected.








1 comment:

  1. Well done! I love the colours in that sweater :)

    ReplyDelete