Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Thumb Cover Pattern

My four-year-old is still sucking her thumb, but is starting to think about quitting.  When I asked her how I could help her to remember not to suck her thumb, she suggested that I make her a glove.  So, I did, but just for the thumb.  I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone, but there are two things about this approach that make me optimistic:

1. It was her idea, so she is invested in the project, which is great, because if she doesn't want to stop, she won't.
2. It works; at least as long as she is wearing it.

This means we need to keep track of it and have a few spares lest she leave it laying around, hide it, bite through a stitch that came loose, (saying "There!  Good as new!"), one is in the wash, etc.  The first one I made her is still at large somewhere, but number 2 was found today, and number 3's whereabouts are also known, so hopefully I can get back to my regular crafting queue now.

My daughter, wearing Thumb-Cover Version 1, now Missing-in-Action.  (She's coaching her little sister to use the camera).


Anyhow, after working out a thumb-cover, making a new one to replace the lost one, plus a spare, I have a pattern to share.  After finishing work on them, I did find on Ravelry that there are a couple of patterns for this sort of thing, but since mine is a bit different, I thought I'd share it for those who would rather work from the cuff up.  Otherwise, for those who would rather work tip-down and with short-rows, I direct you to the (Ravelry Link) Thumb Thingy by Allena Williams and for those who would like to crochet, this pattern by Charlene T.

Krazy-Stripes Thumb-cover


Thumb Cover

Materials:

Sock-Yarn scraps, or any fingering weight yarn, with fun colours and softness (so that the kid is more willing to wear it) being recommended.  The two featured yarns are Kroy Socks 'Krazy Stripes' and Claudia Hand-paint fingering.

2.5 mm double-pointed needles

Needle for weaving-in ends

Directions:

Cuff

Thumb Cover in Claudia Hand-Paint
Cast-on 38 stitches, then, after arranging the stitches on the needles, join in the round.

Work in single ribbing (*knit 1, purl 1* repeat) for 8 rounds.

Bind-off 30 stitches, then continue in ribbing for the following 8 stitches.

Turn work, and, working back and forth in stockinette (starting and ending with a purl row), work 7 rows.

Thumb

Knit 8, then, using the backwards loop method, cast-on 8 stitches, and join again in the round on double-pointed needles.

Knit 12 rounds.

Thumb-shaping and Finishing

-SSK, K4, K2tog, SSK, K4, K2tog
-knit one round
-SSK, K2, K2tog, SSK, K2, K2tog
-SSK, K2tog, SSK, K2tog

Break yarn, pull through remaining stitches, and weave in ends.



No comments:

Post a Comment